I'm always on the Pinterest hunt for DIYs that are easy, inexpensive, and most importantly, not total junk. If it's sort of junk, I can deal with that. I'll make it, have it out for a few weeks, then trash it when I'm done - but I just can't deal with total junk.
Anywayyyy, I found the coolest DIY Wine Barrel Inspired Tray, and knew I had to make it! When I saw it I was quite excited because it was something that I could possibly actually use!
What you need:
- A precut wood table top (a disassembled lazy susan would work too)
- A black permanent marker (or black wood paint)
- Wood stain
- A clear wood finish
- Steel wool
- Handles (optional)
1. Begin by drawing in permanent marker (or black paint) the design you want on the tray.
2. After you have your lettering or design done, stain the wood (both the top and bottom).
3. Once the stain is dry, rough up the tray a bit with the steel wool. Then repeat the stain (I did this 3 or 4 times... Darken the lettering as needed).
4. Next, spray or paint the tray with a clear coat to seal the wood and stain.
5. Add handles if you would like (I used drawer pulls).
This would be a perfect custom gift for a wedding, bridal shower, or anyone who loves something monogrammed!