I have wanted a monogrammed welcome mat for a while now, but I just couldn't bring myself to bite the bullet and buy one. So, instead, I thought I would give a DIY a go.
And let me tell you, it was SO easy!! Truly, even for non-DIYers, you will be hard pressed to mess this up.
The most difficult part was finding the plain coir mat. I looked high and low, and after about 10 trips to different places (Target, Home Depot, World Market, JoAnn’s, Hobby Lobby, etc.), I finally found one at Lowes. BUT, if you have an Ikea nearby, fear not! They sell the perfect mat... here and here (which at $5 or $10, is a steal!).
A few weeks ago, I shared a link to a monogram generator, and I used the same website to generate this monogram… they have several monogram layouts, so make sure to take a look around to choose your favorite.
What you’ll need:
- A plain coir mat
- Fabric paint
- Paint brush
- X-acto knife
- 8.5x11 sticky label
1. Begin by generating your monogram using this generator. Then print this monogram out on the 8.5x11 sticky label.
2. Using your X-acto knife, cut out the monogram to make a stencil.
3. After you have your stencil, remove the non-sticky backing, and place the sticky side on to the mat. Make sure you center your stencil properly.
4. Make sure that your stencil fully sticks to the mat, and then use your paint brush and fabric paint, to paint on the inside of the stencil. Even though you are using a stencil, be gentle around the edges so no paint leaks underneath.
5. While the paint is still wet, remove the stencil and fill in any areas that need to be touched up.
6. Allow the mat to dry for 24 hours – better safe than sorry.
I saw a few tutorials that used spray paint. They looked nice, but, in my opinion, the edges of the monogram were not as crisp as the fabric paint.
Clearly I'm obsessed with my dog and couldn't help but throw in a picture of her. :)
Linking up for Whatever Goes Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Work it Wednesday, Pretty Wednesday, and Worthwhile Wednesdays.