To make this DIY slate chalkboard, the total price was a whopping $1.48! I bought a piece of 12x12 slate from Home Depot (for $1.48) and already owned everything else... so basically, this DIY was a total steal!
I've wanted a grocery list chalkboard for a while, and this slate tile was the perfect twist. I saw this tutorial on Pinterest, and it was so easy, so I just had to try!
What you need:
- A 12x12 piece of slate (or any other size that you'd like!)
- Masking tape
- A drill
1. Place masking tape on the front and back of the slate where you intend to drill holes to hang the slate. This will help the slate from cracking when drilling.
2. Mark on the masking tape where you want the holes, and begin drilling. For me, one hole was super easy and the other one required a bit of muscle when drilling... also, splash water when drilling so it doesn't heat up too much.
3. After drilling the holes in the slate, rinse the slate with water and string through the ribbon.
4. Finish by tying the ribbon in a bow in front of the slate.
This chalkboard is a great way to jot down the things I need to buy as soon as I run out of something. I don't know about you, but whenever I sit down to make my grocery list I always forget 2 or 3 things since I write everything at once.
Currently my grocery list says two things (both written by my hubby): "OJ" and "a dog for my dog". ..hmm. :)