I love celebrating holidays, but recently, the amount of free time on my hands is next to none.
So I began my search of a sweet treat that would be tasty and festive, but wouldn't take me more than an hour to make.
And these speckled egg cookies were just what I was looking for!
1. Start with fully-cooled Easter egg cookies (or, if you're looking for a short cut, just go buy some!).
2. Next, make your royal icing (I followed this Wilton recipe), and pipe a border of the frosting around the cookies.
3. Flood the center of the cookies with icing, and give the cookies a few taps on the table to smooth out the tops and remove any bubbles.
4. When your cookies are drying, combine 1tbs of royal icing with 1tsp of warm water and a food coloring of your choice.
5. Once the cookies are fully dried, sponge on a first layer of colored frosting.
6. After the first sponged layer of frosting is dry, sponge on a second layer (I decided to use a different color, but the same color will work too!).
And ta da! You have yourself some speckled egg cookies!
Go easy on the colored frosting at first (adding more is much easier than trying to take it off), and keep layering the frosting until you achieve the desired look.
These cookies are not only perfect to eat, but they make for great individual favors!
Have time on your hands? Decorate some Easter egg cookies using this marbling technique!